Monday, July 21, 2014

Cetaphil Facial Cleanser Review

Many of my friends and clients are often asking me about daily skin care products.  One of the most common products I'm asked about is Cetaphil cleanser.  I think I get questions about Cetaphil due to it popularity with dermatologists.  In fact, even my old dermatologist recommended Cetaphil.  But Cetaphil and me did not have a good relationship. That is not to say it is not a good product.  It was just not a good product for my skin.  I was sensitive to Cetaphil.  For whatever reason, it left my skin irritated after several times using it. 

Here is what I found out about Cetaphil in regards to sensitive skin.
  • Cetaphil contains propelene glycol which is a vehicle used to deliver active products.  It has been recommended that those with allergies avoid propelene glycol.  
  • Cetaphil contains sodium lauryl sulfate.  You know that squeaky clean feeling you get after washing your face? That's due to sodium lauryl sulfate, a common ingredient added to face wash to make it foam.  The problem with sodium lauryl sulfate is that it strips the skin of the natural oils that our skin actually needs for protection. This causes surface dehydration which leads to skin sensitivity and irritation due to the damaged oil barrier. Surface dehydration brings on a whole host of issues.  It leads to irritation, dead cell accumulation, dull skin, and clogged pores.  What's more, because it removes the skin's natural, protective oil barrier, the body ends up producing more oil (the very thing you're trying to get rid of) to compensate.  The skin is no longer balanced.  It actually becomes more oily and more prone to breakouts.
  • Cetaphil contain parabens.  Parabens keep a product from spoiling by preventing harmful bacteria and fungi from growing inside it. It is well documented that some people may have a sensitivity and become irritated by parabens. This is the reason why so many products now promote "paraben free".
I believe it is best to avoid any chemicals that may irritate and stick to more natural paraben-free, sulfate-free, fragrance-free cleansers.  I get asked what I use as a cleanser.  Currently I use two cleansers.  I use an organic gel cleanser by Juice in the AM to deep clean my pores. I then use an organic lotion based cleanser by Emminence in the PM to dissolve and melt away my makeup and calm my skin overnight.  This works for me and I think helps keeps my pores clean while avoiding drying my skin too much.  My skin feels very balanced with these products.

All the best,

Karen





No comments:

Post a Comment