Thursday, March 27, 2014

Asha Esthetician Practical Interview Follow up

A couple days ago I went in for a practical interview at Asha Salon & Spa.  I'm not really sure where to start. 

I was told to show up at least 15 minutes early to setup and get prepared.  I arrived 20 minutes early and sat and waited, and waited, and waited.  This same thing happened at my first interview.  I actually had to walk up to the desk because I really thought they forgot.  No big deal but I started to wonder if this was the norm.  Finally Miss Manager approached and led me to the spa.  I had never seen the spa.  My first interview was super rushed. I was swept out the door before even having a chance to realize I did not have a tour.

Miss Manager led me into a treatment room to start the practical interview.  We agreed to start with the brazilian.  As I started to prepare for the treatment, I realized I was in serious need of a lot of supplies.  Miss Manager had brought about six large size strips of wax paper into the room.  This is way too few strips for a brazilian wax.  They were also the wrong size.  She had brought me large strips that are typically used on legs and arms. Okay, deep breath.  Holy waxing nightmare and I haven't even started.  I felt a bad feeling rising in my belly.  But I could work with it.  I asked her for scissors, more strips, prep treatment if any, post treament product.

While prepping, I noticed the room was very dark.  In fact I could hardly see.  I turned the lights up but I still could not see.  Crud.  I was racing to get everything prepared.  I tested the hard and soft wax. The wax in the warmers was very different from wax I have ever used.  The hard wax seemed like taffy.  Maybe it was not warm enough?  I tested it on my arm.  When I went to pull it off it seemed to crack and break.  Double crud.  The soft wax seemed fine and looked like honey.  I figured it was fine but made sure it was on the setting I have used at school and at home.  I hoped it would be alright having never used it before.

Miss Manager brought  a FEW more strips. Really?  They were crazy sizes.  Some super duper long, some smaller than my palm.  Really?  I got more sticks.  Time to start.

I was prepared to do a fairly easy brazilian.  After all, they wouldn't honestly have me wax someone that was very hairy down there without knowing my skills???  I mean, I am confident in my skills but this whole time I kept wondering why they were starting with a brazilian?  I am right out of school.  I am by no way a waxologist.  I still wonder if I should have just suspended this whole thing and said, "why don't we start with legs and go from there?"  Makes sense to me.  I can get used to the wax and the employer gets to see that I can handle wax. Win, win right?
I started.  After taking one look at Miss Manager, I realized I had a big job.  I could hardly see but I could tell there was a lot of hair.  I cleansed and started.  Though the soft wax was set to what I am used to with the soft waxes I have used, it must have been too cool for this type of wax.  On my first application I could tell it was too thick.  I turned it up more.  I was fumbling because I was not used to their wax and here I was applying it to a manager.  I got to the most challenging part of a brazilian and I just could not see hair direction growth...1) because it was crazy freaking dark in the room and 2) because her hair was long and thick.  I decided to use hard was for this area.  I had been trying to avoid hard wax because I was concerned about the consistency but being a good esthetician, I know you should always use hard wax when you can not see the hair direction.  Why?  Because if you use soft wax and don't pull the right way, you can not go over the same area with soft again.  You will rip the skin.  Soft wax exfoliates the skin.  If you use hard wax and don't get some hairs, you can reapply soft wax over that area because hard wax only pull hairs out.  It does not exfoliate the skin.  I went for it.  I applied the hard wax and hope for the best.  I applied a damp towel to help cool the hard wax and it stuck to the wax!  What?  NO!  That is not supposed to happen!  I went to pull the wax and it would not budge.  When I finally got it going, the hard wax crumbled and cracked while pulling. It was a mess.  I got the hair off but parts of the was remained on the skin!  I am not sure if this type of hard wax is just meant for small areas and not big areas? Did I need to apply oil under this type of hard wax?  I have never used this wax and felt like a failure.  They told me ahead of time not to worry about knowing their products yet but I feel I should have been given a bit more info before I started.  Being new to interviewing and practical interviews, I am just not sure what I should have done.  I completed the procedure and everything was fine but I had a growing concern about training.  After all, I am just out of school. 

The facial was fine.  I wasn't given much info about the products but read the backs and felt like I had a good grasp.  There were not a lot of products for her skin type, actually not a lot of products in general.  Miss M had oily skin with clogged pores and dehydrated cheeks and clear marks of post tramatic hyper pigmentation and current whiteheads and papules.  I really wanted to use products for oily skin and congestion.  I did have some sort of chemical enzyme exfoliant but it did not seem like a professionI strength.  Was this to be as the exfoliant?  The directions said not to wipe off.  Was this an over-the-counter night time gel I was to use in place of an enzyme or peel?  I felt very unprepared.  I was given one small bowl and tiny bowl and one brush.  I was fumbling around and trying to figure out the steamer, etc.  When I asked about the steamer and said I was going to preheat it, I was told not to preheat the steamer because it starts in 20 seconds.  I chose to preheat it.  Thankfully I did as it did not heat up fast at all.  

Looking back I realize that  Miss M was probably not an esthetician.  She probably had no idea what I needed and where things were so that is why I ended up with so few items. 

There is not a lot of training with Asha.  I was told I would have two days.  Two days to learn all of their techniques, get familiar and comfortable with their wax, practice, learn their different facials, treatments, etc.  I am a bit concerned.  I am just starting my career and feel I have a ton to learn.  I love the idea of working in a lifestyle spa but am worried about the level of support and training.

On a good note, I interviewed at a smaller boutique spa yesterday.  The manager I met with was extremely professional and lovely.  She was prompt, polished and seemed to really care about the training and development of all her employees.  It is a busy spa and has a great reputation.  I used to go there to get my hair done and loved it.    I am going in Monday to give a facial to a veteran esthetician.  The manager wants me to work with her to figure out my strength and areas I may need to develop so they can put a plan into place to help me succeed.  I was impressed and loved that they care so much about their employees.

Keep you updated!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment